A vision for smarter world
CMM accuracy achieved via camera inspection!
Problem : Three types of chair: 4-way Driver, 2-way Driver, Co Driver, Detect missing welding spots
Procedure : To implement a Vision based inspection system.
• Reliable Autotech is a market leader and always wanted to deliver higher quality. The aspirations were not finding the right tools and development partners to achieve.
• There is a bracket which is welded by a welding robot. Accuracy in bracket welding determines the part fitment in final assembly. Although this bracket welding carries a tolerance, objective was to be as accurate as it can! However, due to fixture/robot wear-tear during welding, at times, the bracket welding alignment gets misguided which turns out to be OK in gauges when on tolerance edge or slightly out.
• Soon after welding, this part was stamped and sent to powder coating to external vendors. When received, it was inspected on gauge before packaging for export.
• IF defect is found, the part was scrapped! Which means entire cost put in for manufacturing, transportation to powder coating vendor, powder coating, inspection etc. was in vain!
• After studying above mentioned requirement and ongoing process, we recommended not only a camera based system but an approach to alter the overall process as well. The value addition that we did was to STOP defect replication. If one part welding has gone wrong by welding robot, multiple parts thereafter go wrong, as robot continues with its job!
• With new system – if bracket welding has gone wrong, we switch off the robot! It stops defect replication.